Upgrade Challenges Using SCCM & WSUS to get from 1511 to 1607

Seeing all of these new benefits Windows 10 1607 had brought to the table, I thought it would be a good idea to finally get something running in my lab environment through SCCM via the Windows 10 Servicing Plans. Initial experience was quite positive as everything went according to the book without the prior issues experienced in SCCM 1511, where the servicing plan would attempt to download every single copy of Windows 10 on every language known to man kind. Thanks Microsoft, my drive was not worthy of that much data so it filled up.

However, this time the challenges started right away by having to patch WSUS once again with KB3159706 which includes a set of additional annoying steps. Then I experienced additional problems on the client side that led me through loops of depressing troubleshooting steps. This time errors 0x8024200D, 0xC1800118 and 0x80240022 kept coming up on my client machine causing a lot of headaches.

Continue reading

SCCM 2012 Reporting Database – Out of Control Growth

While cleaning up some data, I ran into some older files that I saved up and had forgotten about. This took place about a year ago,  when I ran into an issue with my SCCM 2012 server where the VM had completely used up all my storage. Not being a production environment I had not pro-actively monitored my home lab server. Yes, yes who would have thought that I would be guilty of not monitoring my server, but then again it’s a lab environment that I run at home. So not so much of a big deal, but the issue appeared to have come out of the box. This means that someone somewhere may be experiencing issues with the System Center Configuration Manager’s Reporting Database growing out of control because by default the database was set to consume 2TBs.

Continue reading